Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Diamonds in the Sky with Lucy!"

Summertime in La Ceiba and the livin' is easy (at least until Friday when the next team arrives). The last couple days have been filled with endless swinging in Lucy's new red swing in the backyard, painting our nails with "prosh" (nail polish), smelly rotten mangos, an air-conditioned lunch at KFC (undoubtedly, the most physically comfortable 45 minutes of my day), obscene quantities of Zucco lemonade and Cheerios, relentless bug bites, "sess-me street", and profuse sweating.

Last night, Lindsey and I made a special meal for Josh in honor of his last week in Honduras. Lindsey, Sean, and I thought it only appropriate to christen the Bostonian with his first ever shrimp and grits dinner (complete with sausage, bacon, seasonings, and plenty of cheese and butter). I'm proud to say he thoroughly enjoyed the Southern cultural experience. I've truly loved all the opportunities I've gotten to help Lindsey in the kitchen and now have several new recipes to bring home. The evening was concluded with cheesecake and several more raucous rounds of nerts. I no longer believe myself to be good at card games.

Today, the McCann girls and I decided to temporarily escape the heat by spending our morning at a nearby hotel pool. By purchasing an inexpensive lunch, we got to swim free! As it approached lunchtime, Lindsey gave me the task of ordering inside. As I proceeded to open the door, however, I was greeted by nearly 20 Honduran men using computers and 20 pairs of eyes staring at me. Trying to ignore the smiles and the snickers, I made my way to the back of the room, looking for a menu. It didn't take long before one of them directed me to the front desk and restaurant next door. I feel like I should probably have been embarrassed by this experience, but I've become far too comfortable with my role as the "stupid foreigner" to really be fazed anymore.
We all left the pool feeling full, sleepy, and sunburned (perfect recipe for a beautiful naptime). Awake once again, the girls and I enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood in pursuit of some homemade popsicles. We slurped on rapidly melting coconut and strawberry "vasitos" (literal translation is "little cups" because of the molds in which they were made), each for only about 30 cents. Returning home to change wet clothes and wash sticky hands, we prepared for our next excursion: Josh's goodbye dinner at Ponderosa steakhouse with the entire team. Two chips-and-dip appetizers, two huge plates of chicken, pork, and beef filets, two heaping dishes of sweet fried plantains, and two doggie bags later, we made our way back to the McCann's house to share sentimental Josh memories and Erin's homemade cheesecake.

And so I end another day in Honduras exactly the way I start it, with a cold shower and bug spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment